The smell of fresh basil always makes me reminisce about my childhood. From my early love of pasta dishes (I was called the Carb Queen back in the day) to my mom’s spice planter on her patio every summer, the smell of basil brings back nostalgic memories.
Basil is fantastic on its own, but it’s also one of the healthiest herbs that you can cook with. According to Nutrition Data, basil is loaded with vitamin K (essential for blood clotting) and vitamin A (helps prevent heart attacks and strokes). Basil also includes iron, calcium, manganese, magnesium, vitamin C and potassium. All the more reason to eat it, right?!
While I was making this dish, I wondered why I don’t cook with basil more often. It’s flavorful, has great health benefits and looks great! Needless to say, I am so excited to try out some new recipes. Here are some good eats that I am brainstorming to make with my leftover basil leaves:
- Basil pesto
- Tomato Basil Soup
- Basil Pesto Hummus
- Caprese Grilled Cheese
Do you have any other recipe recommendations for things that I can make with basil?
I am so in love with the smells and flavors of this dish and I know you will be too! Let me know if you make this Crispy Chicken Caprese Skillet and what you think of it by taking a picture and tagging Sweet Pea Living on Facebook and Instagram!
Crispy Chicken Caprese Skillet
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 6-8 chicken thighs, bone in (optional) and skin on
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning*
- 1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, quartered
- 7 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2 Roma tomatoes, sliced
- 8-ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cubed
* If you don’t have any Italian seasoning in your kitchen (I know I didn’t), you can spice the chicken with a little bit of garlic powder, oregano, sage, rosemary, and thyme.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat up EVOO in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic to pan and cook for about 2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Season the chicken liberally with Italian seasoning on all sides. Place chicken thighs in skillet with the skin-sides face down. Turn heat on high and cook until skins of the chicken are crispy, about 7 minutes.
- Turn off heat on stove. Flip chicken thighs so that the skins are showing.
- Move skillet into the oven. Set timer for 35 minutes.
- After 35 minutes, drop in artichoke hearts, tomato slices and mozzarella cheese. Put skillet back in the oven, uncovered. Set timer for 10 minutes.
- After cheese is melted, lay basil leaves on top and serve hot! Enjoy!
Yields: 4 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes