Today’s post is a real treat. This is my wonderful Mama J’s Spicy Cashew Chicken. She has made it for me countless times–birthdays, holidays and whenever I need a heartwarming home-cooked meal. Last summer, she gave me this recipe at my bridal shower and I am absolutely honored to have it.
As amazing as Mama J’s recipe is, many of you are Whole30 compliant and don’t consume alcohol, soy products or sugar with your meals, so I adjusted the recipe to make it Whole30-friendly. I don’t mean to toot my own horn or anything, but this version of the recipe is just as good as the original (but I wouldn’t dare say it’s better)!
I will warn you that this meal comes together very quickly. If you are serving cauliflower rice or regular rice with it, make sure it is ready to go before making the chicken. You’ll be surprised at how many complex flavors and smells come from this easy and quick dish!
Get ready for a meal that will have you dancing around your kitchen, no joke! As always, let me know if you make this dish and what you think of it by taking a picture and tagging Sweet Pea Living on Facebook and Instagram!
Mama J’s Spicy Cashew Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts, sliced in half and cubed
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (or 4 tablespoons sherry)
- 2 tablespoons water (omit if using sherry)
- 4 tablespoons coconut aminos (or 4 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce)
- vegetable oil, enough to cover the bottom of the pan in a thin layer
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili paste (optional — we use Sambal Oelek)
- 1 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos (or 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce)
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder (or 2 tablespoons cornstarch)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted (or 4 teaspoons sugar)
- 4 teaspoons white vinegar
- green onions, sliced
- sesame seeds
- Marinate chicken with apple cider vinegar, water and coconut aminos for 2-3 hours or overnight.
- Drain chicken from marinade. Heat vegetable oil and red pepper flakes in cast iron skillet or stainless steel skillet over high heat. Brown chicken, stirring often for 10-15 minutes.
- Once chicken is cooked and browned, add garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Combine sauce ingredients in microwave safe bowl and mix lightly. Heat in microwave for 30 seconds (if you skip the microwave, the arrowroot powder will clump together!). Whisk until fully combined.
- Add sauce, chili paste and cashews to chicken. Stir until well coated.
- Garnish with green onion and/or sesame seeds. Serve over cauliflower rice or regular rice and enjoy!
Yields: 4 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes