Not every day is stress free and sometimes, by the time it’s five o’clock, I don’t have the energy to cook dinner. This meal is great for those days. The juicy bell peppers and simmering taco meat in this dish do wonders to satisfy my hungry tummy (and, to be honest, my grumpy mood as well) without taking long or making too many dishes.
If you haven’t noticed, I haven’t made any white rice with my recipes. When we got married, I donated our old rice cooker to Good Will to make room for my beautiful new pots and pans that we received as wedding gifts. Since then, cauliflower rice has been our go-to for any meal that could use a little fluff.
I also prefer meals with cauliflower rice for nutritional reasons. Raw cauliflower has only 25 calories per cup and 5 carbohydrates. In comparison, cooked white rice has 242 calories per cup and 9 times as many carbs. You can save a lot of calories and carbs with this simple substitution!
Plan ahead to make this recipe when you know you’re going to have a busy day. These Unstuffed Bell Peppers will keep you from grabbing fast food on your way home and your body will thank you! As always, if you make this dish, let me know what you think by taking a picture and tagging Sweet Pea Living on Facebook and Instagram!
Unstuffed Bell Peppers
- 1 cauliflower head (or cauliflower rice if you prefer)
- extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons of preferred taco seasoning
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 bell peppers, cut into chunks
- 1 Spanish onion, diced
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- guacamole or avocados
- hot sauce
- Cut cauliflower into chunks. Blend into rice-sized pieces in food processor.
- Heat EVOO in skillet for 1 minute. Over low heat, mix cauliflower rice in pan and cover. Stir occasionally, about every 5 minutes.
- In a separate skillet, cook ground turkey over medium-high heat until no longer pink.
- Once ground turkey is completely cooked, mix taco seasoning with meat. Add water, bell peppers, and onions. Cover and stir as needed, about every 5 minutes.
- Simmer until vegetables are cooked, about 10 minutes.*
- Mix in cilantro and lime juice with cauliflower rice.
- Serve meat over cauliflower rice and garnish if desired. Enjoy!
*We like our veggies on the crunchier side when cooked. You can simmer the mixture longer if you prefer them more well done.
Yields: 6 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes