You’ve probably heard about spaghetti squash, but have you tried substituting it for pasta yet? I understand if you haven’t. I hesitated after hearing about this low-carb trick, too. I was skeptical about a simple squash replacing the tender and starchy love of my life…
When we decided to start eating low-carb meals, spaghetti squash was one of the first dishes that I tested with my husband. I figured that if we could enjoy this gourd as much as we enjoyed noodles, the low-carb diet would not be difficult for us to adopt. Little did I know that this substitute would become a much-loved staple for our meals!
The best thing about spaghetti squash is that it goes well with any meat, sauce or spice that you can think of. I like to make it with browned chicken and spicy pesto sauce when I’m craving some comfort food. Here are some additional Sweet Pea Living recipes that use Spaghetti Squash:
- Italian Meatballs and Spaghetti Squash
- Spaghetti Squash Jambalaya
- Vegetarian Spaghetti Squash Chow Mein
How good does that look? This is one of those dishes that you need to try at least once. As always, let me know what you think by taking a picture and tagging Sweet Pea Living on Facebook and Instagram!
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half. Scoop out the seeds and pulp from both halves.
- Place the two halves face up in a shallow pan.
- Drizzle EVOO on the insides of each half. Lightly salt on top of the olive oil.
- Place spaghetti squash halves in oven for 40-45 minutes.
- Remove spaghetti squash from oven. Let cool, then use fork to pull out spaghetti squash strands.
- Serve with any sauce and/or meat combination and enjoy!
Yields: 4 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes