Whenever I ask my husband what he would like for dinner, he requests Chicken Tortilla Soup. This surprises me because I change my Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe just about every time I make it. I might add bell peppers, jalapenos, or cilantro rice depending on my mood and, more importantly, what is in our fridge. Regardless of what I change, this recipe is always a winner.
I know that Chicken Tortilla Soup is typically made with shredded chicken. However, I made this soup with chicken chunks because shredding chicken can be so time consuming (and who has time for that?)! Besides, this soup tastes just as good with chicken chunks as it does with shredded chicken because it is simply good.
I get excited about this meal because the natural flavors and ingredients are light, but also filling. I know that corn kernels and black beans are not part of the Paleo/Whole30 lifestyle, but sometimes it’s fun to bend the rules a bit… am I right?!
I know that in our low-carb household, it’s always a joyous day when I bring home tortilla chips from the grocery store. I hope that you’re also able to enjoy a little freedom with this dish without feeling guilty! As always, when you try out this recipe let me know what you think by taking a picture and tagging Sweet Pea Living on Facebook and Instagram!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ pound skinless chicken breasts
- 2 14.5-ounce cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 14.5-ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 small Spanish onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce (we use Valentina Hot Sauce: Salsa Picante)
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 14.5-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14.5-ounce can corn
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- cilantro, chopped
- baked tortilla chips
- If you have time:
- Trim fat off chicken breasts. Pat down with paper towel. Cook on high in slow cooker for 2 hours (no liquid required).
- Once chicken breasts are cooked, shred the chicken breasts with a fork.
- If you don’t have time:
- Trim fat off chicken breasts. Pat down with paper towel and dice.
- Saute garlic in EVOO for 2 minutes. Then add chicken and cook until crispy over medium-high heat, stirring often (about 10-15 minutes).
- Dump chicken, chicken broth, diced tomatoes (not drained), onion, hot sauce, garlic, chili powder, ground cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, salt and ground black pepper into crock pot. Cook until onions soften, about 20 minutes.
- Just before you’re ready to eat, drain and rinse corn and black beans. Then add corn and beans to crock pot. Add lime juice and mix well.
- Serve with desired garnishes and enjoy!
Yields: 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes