Lately, I’ve been in a serious soup making phase. I don’t know what it is–the cold weather, my stuffy nose, or the need to stock our fridge with easy work lunches–but I’ve been craving anything served in a bowl. Regardless of the reason, this simple Chicken Broccoli Soup really hit the spot!
When I first started making this dish, it was actually a Broccoli Cheddar Soup. Over time, the recipe transformed after I added and removed ingredients to fit what we loved most! For example, one afternoon before I made this soup, I was at the store and just happened to spot a scrumptious rotisserie chicken. I thought that the tender meat would make a great soup addition and it is now a must-have ingredient!
Later on, after I was sick and tired of scrubbing cheese residue off the sides of my stock pot (I’m sure you know exactly what I’m talking about), I decided to remove cheddar cheese from the main ingredient list. I’ve found that I don’t miss the cheddar at all, and it works great as a light garnish to the dish.
You must be craving Chicken Broccoli Soup by now! Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think by taking a picture and tagging Sweet Pea Living on Facebook and Instagram! I can’t wait to hear how much you love it!
Chicken Broccoli Soup
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 Spanish or yellow onion, diced
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, chopped
- 2 cups broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup cauliflower, chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup fat-free half and half*
- 1 rotisserie chicken
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom
- salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (or more)
- shredded cheddar cheese*
*Omit for Whole30. Instead of half-and-half, whisk 1-2 tablespoons arrowroot powder into broth to help thicken soup.
- Heat up EVOO, minced garlic, diced onion and celery in a large stock pot over medium-high heat until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Mix carrots, broccoli and cauliflower into the stock pot. Saute for about 7 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, water and half and half into the stock pot. Mix well and bring soup to a boil. While the soup heats up, remove the skin from and shred the rotisserie chicken.
- Add in shredded chicken, nutmeg, cardamom, salt and hot sauce. Mix well.
- Garnish with shredded cheddar cheese and serve hot! Enjoy!
Yields: 8 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes