As many of you know, I’ve been working on creating weekly meatless meals for us. By eating less meat, we are trying to improve (or rather reduce our impact on) the environment, our wallets, and our health. Discovering vegetarian and low-carb dishes has really forced me to think creatively when it comes to our dinners. I put this recipe together to see if it was possible to create a low-carb vegetarian option for a weeknight meal. And guess what? It is!
My biggest concern with dishes like these is that they might leave us hungry. But, this dinner surprised us! The aromatic spices, crisp vegetables and tender spaghetti squash were the perfect combination to make this vegetarian dish satisfying and fun. Honestly, I did not miss the meat and neither will you!
While my husband and I like our dinners on the spicier side, this recipe is easy to adjust to any palate. Simply reduce the amount of chili paste to fit your preferences. As always, when you try out this recipe let me know what you think by taking a picture and tagging Sweet Pea Living on Facebook and Instagram! I can’t wait to see how much you enjoy it.
Vegetarian Spaghetti Squash Chow Mein
- 1 small spaghetti squash
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- salt, to taste
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium spanish onion, diced
- 1 bag coleslaw mix (shredded cabbage and carrots)
- 1 cup broccoli, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup snap peas, whole
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chili paste (we use Sambal Oelek)
- Sriracha sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut spaghetti squash in half. Scoop out the seeds and pulp from both halves. Place the two halves face up in a shallow pan. Drizzle EVOO on the insides of each half. Lightly salt on top of the olive oil. Place spaghetti squash halves in oven for 40-45 minutes. See here for more detail on preparing spaghetti squash.
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons of EVOO in a non-stick pan medium-high heat. Saute onion and celery until fragrant, about 4 minutes. Stir in coleslaw, broccoli, and snap peas. Place lid over pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together chicken stock, coconut aminos, garlic, coconut sugar, ginger, black pepper and chili paste. Pour mixture into the pan and let vegetables simmer.
- Remove spaghetti squash from oven. Let cool for 5 minutes, then use a fork to pull out spaghetti squash strands. Place spaghetti squash strands in non-stick pan and mix well.
- Serve with Sriracha sauce for an extra kick! Enjoy hot.
Yields: 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes