Our monthly grocery budget always creates a battle for me. I find it continuously difficult to juggle work, house chores, grocery shopping, meal prep and personal time (when was the last time I read a book?) with keeping a balanced budget. As you can imagine, it’s easy for me to get carried away with new recipe ideas and unfortunately sometimes my husband must remind me that we don’t have endless amounts of money for the food budget.
So for this recipe, I decided to do a little foraging in my kitchen to avoid yet another trip to the grocery store. Luckily for me, the freezer provided half a bag of frozen shrimp from my Shrimp Fajitas and some delicious Italian sausages that I had saved from Christmas. As I searched my fridge, I realized that I had to use up the leftover cauliflower from my Chicken Broccoli Soup and wondered what other vegetables I could add to pull this meal together!
I added bell peppers, thinking they would help blend the heavy Italian sausage with the delicate flavor of the shrimp. The unique combination of meat, vegetables and flavors ended up creating a surf-and-turf style dish that was both light and savory. I topped the dish with some chopped green onions that were leftover in the fridge; you could also add parsley for a slightly bitter kick. Both garnishes make an excellent finishing touch!
Hopefully this recipe inspires you to create something new from what’s in your kitchen! I’d love to see what you come up with. If you’re not in the mood to conceptualize your own recipe, make this dish and let me know what you think by taking a picture and tagging Sweet Pea Living on Facebook and Instagram! I can’t wait to see how it turns out!
Shrimp and Sausage Skillet
- 6 ounces sausage, chopped
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon mustard
- ⅛ teaspoon paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon celery salt
- 1 tablespoon, minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 cup diced red pepper
- 1 cup diced yellow pepper
- 1 cup cauliflower, cut into bite-sized pieces
- ½ medium spanish onion, diced
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- green onion, sliced
- parsley, chopped
- Cook chopped sausage in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until cooked entirely, about 7-10 minutes. Move to a bowl and set aside.
- Season shrimp with garlic salt, garlic powder, mustard, paprika, and celery salt.
- Cook shrimp for 3-4 minutes until opaque and cooked entirely. Move shrimp to bowl of cooked sausage and cover.
- Heat minced garlic and EVOO over medium-high heat for 1-2 minutes. Cook onions, bell peppers and cauliflower in skillet for about 5 minutes, covered. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
- Add chicken stock to pan and heat until simmering.
- Add sausage and shrimp back into skillet and heat for about 1 minute.
- Add red pepper flakes to taste. Remove from heat and garnish with green onions.
Yields: 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes