Guys! Next week is Fat Tuesday and although I’ve never been to Louisiana, Jambalaya has always been one of my favorite meals to eat and make. This Cajun-inspired dish is simple, easy and has a delightfully spicy taste. It’s no surprise that my husband and I love it–even without using a Zatarain’s box!
My mom always makes Jambalaya with kielbasa. But I recently learned that this dish traditionally includes chicken, sausage, shrimp, and ham! I like to keep it simple and stick to the kielbasa, but you could just as easily adjust this recipe to your own meat preferences!
I thought about making this dish with cauliflower rice instead of spaghetti squash. But I decided that the cauliflower rice wouldn’t be tender enough to do the dish justice. Instead, the spaghetti squash is the perfect rice substitute because it holds the spicy flavors of the sauce and gives you something to dig your teeth into. I hope you agree!
If you’re interested in trying something out of the ordinary, recreate this delicious Spaghetti Squash Jambalaya and let me know what you think by taking a picture and tagging Sweet Pea Living on Facebook and Instagram! It’s so easy and fun to make!
Spaghetti Squash Jambalaya
- 1 small spaghetti squash
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- salt, to taste
- 1 pound (about 4) sausages, sliced into thin coins
- I used Roasted Garlic Sausage
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- ½ Spanish onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut spaghetti squash in half. Scoop out the seeds and pulp from both halves. Place the two halves face up in a shallow pan. Drizzle EVOO on the insides of each half. Lightly salt on top of the olive oil. Place spaghetti squash halves in oven for 40-45 minutes. See here for more help preparing spaghetti squash.
- With 20 minutes left to cook the spaghetti squash, cook the sliced sausages over medium-high heat in a non-stick skillet until cooked through entirely.
- Add the peppers, onion, celery, and garlic to the pan and cook for about five minutes, or until vegetables soften.
- Add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes paprika, thyme, oregano, cayenne pepper, and red pepper flakes. Mix well and bring to a simmer.
- Serve over spaghetti squash and enjoy hot!
Yields: 4 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes