Eating a low-carb diet is not always easy and, if you’re on this journey with me, you probably agree that carbs can be addicting. If I’m tired of cooking (yes, it does happen), I find it tempting to heat up a pot of water on the stove and throw in a box of pasta for dinner. When I get into moods like these, I look for dinners that can fill my carbohydrate void without giving into temptation. This is one of those meals.
I was actually planning to make a Chicken Artichoke Alfredo-type dish for dinner tonight. However, a half-opened container of coconut milk in our fridge caught my attention before I began cooking and my curiosity got the best of me. I wondered if I could make a simple sauce to go with the tasty zucchini, artichokes, tomatoes, and broccoli that I had on hand. Suddenly–my plans changed!
Making sauces can sometimes be scary. I always worry if I have the right balance of starch, liquid, and seasoning for the meal. The quickness of creating a sauce can also be overwhelming, especially when other foods are cooking as you are trying to whisk the mixture together in another pan. For this recipe, I decided to make it easy on everyone and mix the sauce in a separate glass, and then pour it over the meal. It’s easy, I promise!
When I finished cooking, the smell of oregano and garlic filled our kitchen. Not knowing what I had made, I took a steamy bite out of the skillet and quickly realized that this was a low-carb Chicken Primavera dish. What a delightful surprise!
Chicken Primavera is so easy to make. I promise that the assorted flavors and vegetables will fill you up and hit that low-carb comfort spot. As always, let me know if you make this dish and what you think of it by taking a picture and tagging Sweet Pea Living on Facebook and Instagram!
Chicken Primavera with Zoodles
- 4 medium zucchinis
- extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 pound chicken tenderloins,cut into small pieces
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup broccoli florets
- 1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, quartered
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 2 tablespoons flour (I use gluten-free flour)
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Parmesan cheese
- black pepper
- Use a spiralizer to create zoodles from the zucchinis. Set aside.
- Heat up EVOO and minced garlic for 2-3 minutes, until fragrant, in a non-stick skillet.
- Brown chicken until cooked through over high heat. Remove to a plate and keep warm.
- Heat zoodles over medium-high heat with 1 tablespoon EVOO until softened in a separate skillet.
- Heat onion and broccoli in the non-stick skillet for 3-4 minutes over high heat.
- Whisk together sauce ingredients. Stir into pan and cook until thickened.
- Stir in tomatoes, artichoke, and chicken. Warm over medium-high heat turning often for 2 minutes.
- Serve chicken mixture over zoodles. Garnish with parmesan cheese and enjoy!
Yields: 4 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes