Whenever I think of home, I always think of my mom in the kitchen with a simmering pot of Kielbasa and Cabbage. I can practically smell the salty aromas of the sauteed kielbasa and savory flavors of garlic and onion wafting through the air. As a child, I loved sitting at the counter watching her cook this recipe. I would also occasionally snitch some cooked kielbasa while she wasn’t looking⧿I just couldn’t help myself!
This dish is one of my favorites because it has complex flavors from utterly simple ingredients. A little bit of sausage, chicken stock and inexpensive vegetables go far in this mouthwatering meal. I like to use Skinless Eckrich Polska Kielbasa (my mama raised me right), but feel free to pick a kielbasa based on your preferences. You will still enjoy the same great flavors!
I was in a real rush to put dinner on the table when I made this. Thankfully, prepping the kielbasa, cabbage, onions and potatoes took me less than 10 minutes and I was able to quickly get all the ingredients simmering while I knocked out some household chores. It was perfect for a day where I felt like I had run out of time!
I might be a little biased, but this recipe is positively fantastic. I encourage you to try it and let me know what you think by taking a picture and tagging Sweet Pea Living on Facebook and Instagram! Enjoy!
Kielbasa and Cabbage
- 28 ounces kielbasa (I use Skinless Eckrich Polska Kielbasa), sliced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 green cabbage head, cut into eighths
- 1 red onion, cut into eighths
- 1 pound red potatoes, each cut in half
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 1 head of garlic, peeled and whole
- salt, to taste
- sour cream
- In a large stock pot, cook sliced kielbasa over medium-high heat until browned on both sides.
- In the same pot, add chicken stock and water. Add cabbage, onion, red potatoes, baby carrots and garlic. Cover with lid and bring to a boil.
- Simmer until vegetables are tender, about 35-40 minutes. Serve with mustard and/or sour cream. Enjoy!
Yields: 6-8 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes