This Hot Italian Sausage, Kale and Bell Pepper Skillet combines some of my favorite things: juicy hot Italian sausage, fresh vegetables, and an easy meal that can be thrown together during any night of the week. You can’t go wrong with these delightful ingredients and I simply love the flavors of this dish.
I used Klement’s Hot Italian Sausage in my recipe. Klement’s is a Milwaukee-based sausage company that we love, and my husband’s grandpa often brings us these delicious sausages straight from his local Wisconsin butcher. Unfortunately these are not Whole30-approved because they contain corn syrup, dextrose, BHA, and propyl gallate. However, I do have a substitute for all of you!
There are many available Whole30-compliant sausages out there, but locating them can be a bit tricky and honestly, who has time for that? If you’re following the Whole30 lifestyle, I recommend using Simply Balanced’s Hot Italian Chicken Sausage from Target. Chicken sausage has a slightly different taste from pork sausage, but the meal will still be mouthwateringly tasty!
The green bell pepper, onion, garlic, diced tomatoes, kale, and cannellini beans are a colorful addition that make the dish look appealing, fresh, and fun. These ingredients help balance the recipe and keep the sausage’s rich flavor from bogging you down, while still pleasing your tastebuds!
Staring at this photo makes me want to run to the fridge and pull out the leftovers RIGHT NOW. You know you want to, too! When you make this recipe, take a picture and tag Sweet Pea Living on Facebook and Instagram. I’d love to see how it turns out and hear your feedback!
Italian Sausage and Kale Skillet
- 1 ½ pounds hot Italian sausages
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced into strips
- ½ onion, sliced into strips
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- 1 15.5-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon oregano, dried
- 2 cups kale, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet over high heat, brown the outside of the Italian sausages until darkened (about 10 minutes). Turn frequently to cook evenly on all sides.
- Remove skillet from heat. Add bell pepper and onion. Then, place skillet in oven. Set timer for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, check to see if sausages are cooked all the way through (cut one in half to check). Once cooked, remove pan from oven. Add garlic, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, chicken stock, cannellini beans, red pepper flakes, oregano, and kale. Cook over medium heat until warm and mix well (about 5 minutes).
- Serve hot with Parmesan cheese and enjoy!
Yields: 4 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes