As some of you may know from my Instagram story, our home has a bit of a potato problem. My husband bought 20 pounds of potatoes at Costco recently (“but honey, they’re so cheap!”). I have been wracking my brain to create some new recipes with them and came up with this hearty Leek and Potato soup! This recipe is not only easy to make, it’s also a savory vegetarian soup bursting with flavor.
If you’ve never tasted or cooked with leeks before, they are very similar to green onions in both taste and texture, only much larger. To prepare a leek, first cut off the tough, dark green leaves and the stringy root. Then, slice it in half lengthwise and separate the layers and remove any dirt with cold water. Lastly, chop the leek into thin slices. If you need help following these steps, check out these instructions.
A classic leek and potato soup contains heavy cream, creme fraiche, and lots of butter. I obviously hesitated to include these ingredients because wanted a soup that was satisfying and flavorful, but also healthy! At the last minute, I decided to add tomato paste and sun-dried tomatoes to fill in for the missing fatty flavors. I am so glad that I did! The tomatoes add a satisfying acidic taste that perfectly complements the leeks and potatoes.
If you’re looking for an easy vegetarian dish (or if you’re like me and need to use up some extra potatoes), this is the recipe to try! As always, when you try out this recipe let me know what you think by taking a picture and tagging Sweet Pea Living on Facebook and Instagram! We love it and I know you will too!
Leek, Potato, and Tomato Soup
- 2 tablespoons ghee or butter
- 2 large leeks, cleaned and sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 5 medium-sized russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups chicken stock or vegetable broth
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- ¼ cup sun dried tomatoes
- ½ teaspoons kosher salt plus more to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme, or ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- fresh parsley, chopped
- Tabasco sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Melt ghee (or butter) in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add leeks, garlic, and onion. Saute until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes, chicken stock, coconut milk, water, tomato paste, salt, marjoram, thyme, and bay leaves. Mix well and simmer for 30 minutes, until potatoes are soft.
- Remove bay leaves. Serve hot and enjoy!
Servings: 5-6 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes