I’m pretty ecstatic about these Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Roasted Bell Peppers. I’ve wanted to make this recipe for a long time, but I was unsure about what to stuff these with. Finally, inspiration hit and (with a little help from Mama J) I discovered the perfect combo!
For this dish I also made a “pesto” from some extra kale and walnuts that we had on hand. My husband suggested that I play around with different combinations of garlic, lemon, olive oil, walnuts, and kale until I found a combination of flavors that I liked. I’m not sure if I would call what I made exactly a “pesto,” but it certainly pairs perfectly with the goat cheese and roasted bell peppers!
These chicken breasts may look fancy, but they are actually super easy to make! The first thing you need to do is butterfly the chicken breasts so that you can open them like a book. Then, use a meat tenderizer (and any pent up aggression) to flatten the chicken so that it is ¼ inch thick all the way across. Lastly, layer one side of the breast with roasted bell pepper, goat cheese, and that delightful kale pesto. Fold over the other half of the breast and seal it using toothpicks–just make sure you take them out before serving!
After stuffing the chicken, I quickly browned the outside of each breast in an oven-safe skillet over high heat and then transferred to the oven for about 20 minutes. The smell of melted goat cheese and zesty pesto is addicting. I know you’ll feel the same way about this quick and easy weeknight meal.
Fun, fresh and full of flavor — you can’t go wrong with this recipe! As always, when you try out this dish let me know what you think by taking a picture and tagging Sweet Pea Living on Facebook and Instagram!
Stuffed Roasted Bell Pepper & Goat Cheese Chicken
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 12 ounces Roasted Peppers
- 4 ounces Goat Cheese, cut into 1-ounce slices
- 4 cups chopped kale leaves, stems removed
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine pesto ingredients in a food processor. Set aside.
- Butterfly chicken breasts (slice in half, but keep both sides attached). Cover with cling film and pound with a meat tenderizer (or rolling pin) to create an even thickness of ¼ inches across each breast.
- Place one roasted pepper, a slice of goat cheese and a tablespoon of pesto on the inside of each chicken breast. Fold the chicken breast over and secure with a toothpick.
- In a large skillet, heat up EVOO. Place folded chicken inside the pan and dust the outside of each breast with garlic powder. Cook the outside of the chicken breasts until brown, about 5 minutes on each side.
- Move skillet to oven and cook for 20 minutes or until fully cooked.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Yields: 4 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes