I have a longstanding soft spot in my heart for Italian food. Unfortunately, a low-carb lifestyle doesn’t cooperate with someone who loves pasta, garlic bread, and cheese! Even though we all have guilty pleasures, there is no need to cheat or suffer through our healthy lifestyle choices. Thankfully, there is no reason to feel guilty about these Italian Meatballs and Spaghetti Squash!
I’ve been playing with this recipe for a while and have finally found a blend of ingredients and spices that makes us happy. Sometimes I find that meatballs can be dry or bland. To avoid this, I combined ground turkey, egg, minced garlic, minced onion, Italian spices (some fresh, some dried), and gluten-free flour. I don’t miss the breadcrumbs at all and neither will you!
I served these meatballs with spaghetti squash, marinara sauce, goat cheese (leftover from Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Roasted Bell Peppers), and sautéed kale with lemon juice. It turned out to be a perfect combination for my Italian comfort food cravings! Yum!
Alright, talking about this dish is making me hungry… again. Let’s get a move on! As always, when you try out this dish let me know what you think by taking a picture and tagging Sweet Pea Living on Facebook and Instagram!
Italian Meatballs and Spaghetti Squash
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup gluten-free flour
- ½ onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon rosemary
- ⅛ teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 jar of marinara sauce
- goat or Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut spaghetti squash in half. Scoop out the seeds and pulp from both halves. Place the two halves face up in a shallow pan. Drizzle EVOO on the insides of each half. Lightly salt on top of the olive oil. Place spaghetti squash halves in oven for 40-45 minutes. See here for more detail on preparing spaghetti squash.
- Combine all meatball ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Mix with hands.
- Using a spoon, scoop out ¼ cup scoops of mixture and roll into consistent balls. Place meatballs on a non-stick baking sheet (or on a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper). Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until fully cooked.
- Remove spaghetti squash from oven. Let cool for 5 minutes, then use a fork to pull out spaghetti squash strands. Place spaghetti squash strands in a bowl.
- Heat up marinara sauce.
- Serve spaghetti squash, meatballs and sauce. Garnish with cheese and enjoy!
Servings: 4-5 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes