Are you ready for a recipe that is not only easy, quick, and cheap, but also (and most importantly) tasty?! These cute Asian Turkey Lettuce Boats are just that. With less than 30 minutes from your kitchen to the dinner table, this recipe is a must for anyone short on time who needs a fresh, low-carb meal.
If you couldn’t tell by now, I’m a big fan of Asian-inspired cuisine. The biggest challenge with it is avoiding the carbs, sugar, and chemical additives that can be found in many store-bought hoisin sauces. For the sweet and tangy sauce in this recipe, I combined chicken stock, rice vinegar, coconut aminos, coconut sugar, sesame oil, and red chili paste. These ingredients make the perfect hoisin sauce substitute, so I always keep them in my kitchen!
I served this dish on Romaine hearts because our grocery store didn’t have butter lettuce last weekend. I was annoyed at this because I love butter lettuce wraps! But, there is something undeniably fun about using a big boat of lettuce to transport your food from your plate to your mouth. The meal turned out great—even without the fancy lettuce! That said, feel free to use butter lettuce if your grocery store is kind enough to stock it.
You simply cannot be disappointed with these effortless and flavorful Asian Turkey Lettuce Boats. Honestly, what are you waiting for?! As always, let me know what you think by taking a picture and tagging Sweet Pea Living on Facebook and Instagram!
Asian Turkey Lettuce Boats
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- ⅛ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 8-ounce can sliced water chestnuts, drained and roughly chopped
- 1-2 Romaine lettuce hearts
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 tablespoon pure sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon roasted red chili paste
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Huy Fong Chili Garlic Sauce
- Heat EVOO, garlic, and ginger over medium-high heat in a nonstick skillet for about 1 minute.
- Add ground turkey. Stir occasionally until cooked all the way through.
- While the turkey cooks, mix the sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Then prepare the lettuce.
- After turkey is cooked, drain the extra juices. Then add the sauce and water chestnuts to the skillet.
- Simmer over medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes, or until sauce is at desired thickness.
- Serve in lettuce boats/wraps and top with your favorite Asian chili sauce. Enjoy!
Servings: 3-4 servings (7-8 lettuce wraps)
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes