Artichokes are one of my absolute favorite ingredients to cook with and eat! Very few things beat the taste of a plump artichoke melting in your mouth. Their buttery flavor and smooth texture can quickly turn any meal from plain to distinctive; and that’s how these beautiful hearts became the inspiration for this dish!
As with artichokes, I’m also slightly obsessed with anything made from chicken, spaghetti squash, or garlic. Not surprisingly, it seemed obvious to create a recipe using my most-loved ingredients. As a bonus, the leftover kale from our weekly meal prep made a fun addition to both the color and texture of this dish. Yum!
Since there are so many unique flavors in this dish, I used coconut milk, chicken stock, almond flour and a few basic spices to create a simple sauce to bind the flavors of the artichokes with the chicken, garlic and kale. I love how light the sauce is; it doesn’t interfere with the flavors I love, but it still brings the dish together!
Several of my insta-friends have already asked me for this recipe and I am so happy to finally bring it to all of you! As always, let me know what you think by taking a picture and tagging Sweet Pea Living on Facebook and Instagram!
Artichoke, Kale and Garlic Chicken Spaghetti Squash
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, separated
- 2 pounds chicken breasts, cut into small chunks
- 2 cups chicken stock, separated
- 6 cloves fresh garlic, sliced
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 1½ cups coconut milk
- 4 cups kale, deveined and roughly chopped
- ¼ teaspoon thyme, dried
- ¼ teaspoon oregano, dried
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, quartered and drained
- Parmesan cheese
- lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut spaghetti squash in half. Scoop out the seeds and pulp from both halves. Place the two halves face up in a shallow pan. Drizzle 1 tablespoon EVOO on the insides of each half. Lightly salt on top of the olive oil. Place spaghetti squash halves in oven for 40-45 minutes. See here for more detail on preparing spaghetti squash.
- Add chicken and 1½ cups chicken stock to a large non-stick pan. Cover with lid and simmer for 20 minutes until the chicken is tender and fully cooked.
- While the chicken is still warm, transfer it to a mixing bowl and use a large metal spoon to break it apart until fully shredded. Set aside.
- In the same non-stick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon EVOO and garlic over medium heat. Cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle in almond flour. Stir and cook for about 1 minute.
- Whisk in coconut milk and ½ cup chicken stock. Bring to a boil. Mix in chopped kale, thyme, oregano, and red pepper flakes.
- Add shredded chicken and artichoke hearts. Continue to cook for 2-3 minutes, until chicken is heated through. Toss with spaghetti squash.
- Serve hot with Parmesan cheese (or lemon juice for my Whole30 friends) and enjoy!
Servings: 5-6 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour