When I was young, my parents took our family on spring break trips to Edisto Island, South Carolina. I loved visiting my great Aunt Joan and Uncle Bob at “the beach” (as we called it). We walked along the shore, collected seashells, and always ended our days with beautiful family-style dinners. This recipe is one of my favorites and reminds me of countless memories from the beach house with my Aunt Joan and Uncle Bob.
Now, I know what you’re thinking: “Morgan, this sounds like a complicated family recipe that’s probably impossible to make…” Which is what I thought as well. I just assumed that I needed special cooking abilities to make this family-loved dish. Luckily for me (and you), I recently asked my Mom about this recipe and learned that it’s super simple and easy to make!
Only six ingredients make up this delicious dish: onion, garlic, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, shrimp, peas and feta cheese. Sounds easy enough, right? My Aunt Joan always served her shrimp over spaghetti noodles, but I altered this recipe to be served over spaghetti squash instead. You won’t believe the bold flavors that come from such simple ingredients!
Doesn’t this just look elegant? I am proud to share this recipe with you and pass on my Aunt Joan’s recipe. I hope your family enjoys it as much as ours. As always, if you make this dish let me know what you think by taking a picture and tagging Sweet Pea Living on Facebook and Instagram!
Aunt Joan’s Shrimp and Spaghetti Squash
- extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 15-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups peas, frozen
- 1 spaghetti squash
- crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut spaghetti squash in half. Scoop out the seeds and pulp from both halves. Place the two halves face up in a shallow pan. Drizzle 1 tablespoon EVOO on the insides of each half. Lightly salt on top of the olive oil. Place spaghetti squash halves in oven for 40-45 minutes. See here for more detail on preparing spaghetti squash.
- Remove spaghetti squash from oven and let cool.
- In a large, non-stick pan, heat EVOO over medium-high heat. Saute onions and garlic for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and shrimp. Cook until shrimp are pink. Then, add frozen peas. Heat for about 1 minute.
- Serve hot over spaghetti squash.
Servings: 4 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes (with spaghetti squash)
Total Time: 50 minutes