Stuffed Bell peppers are a classic dish that can be created in an endless number of ways. I made these with some leftover ground pork and the taste was out of this world! I love how the tender bell peppers mix with the onion, garlic, tomatoes, corn kernels, and black beans. You can easily dress these bell peppers up (or down) based on your family’s preferences. Get ready to dig in!
Making Stuffed Bell Peppers is not nearly as difficult as it may seem. While there are several steps involved, they are simple and easy to follow (I promise)! The first thing I normally do is prep the peppers. Then I cook the meat and add any “extra” ingredients. Once the peppers are done, I stuff them and then pop them in the oven! BOOM. Done.
One of the reasons I enjoy making Stuffed Bell Peppers is because they are extremely versatile. You can adjust them for any dietary restriction. To make this recipe Whole30-approved, simply replace the beans, corn, and cheese with cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini, yellow squash, jalapenos, or mushrooms. You will still get that great Mexican flavor, without the grains or legumes!
Easy, right? If you’re looking for a quick meal to change up your weekly routine, you have to try these! As always, let me know what you think by taking a picture and tagging Sweet Pea Living on Facebook and Instagram! Enjoy!
Pork and Turkey Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 1 small Spanish onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- ½ pound ground turkey
- ½ pound ground pork
- 3 tablespoons Mexican spices
- ¾ cup water
- 6 bell peppers, cleaned with tops removed
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 15.25-ounce can corn kernels, drained
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- Mexican cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large pot, boil 5-6 cups of water. Once water is boiling, add the cleaned/deseeded bell peppers and boil for 2-3 minutes. Remove peppers from water and set aside.
- Saute onion and garlic in a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Add ground turkey and ground pork to pan. Heat until fully cooked and drain.
- Add Mexican spices and water to pork/turkey mixture. Simmer for 5-10 minutes, until sauce has thickened to a gravy-like consistency.
- Add diced tomatoes, corn, and black beans to pan. Mix well.
- Fill bell peppers with mixture using a large spoon. Set peppers in a baking pan and use leftover mixture to fill in any extra space in the pan.
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes.
- Top with Mexican cheese and enjoy!
Servings: 4-6 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes