Beef Stroganoff is one of my favorite dishes to make. The rich flavors, tender beef, and juicy mushrooms blend perfectly. We don’t generally eat much beef, but I’m trying to mix things up and I thought that Beef Stroganoff would be the perfect place to start.
As you know, Sweet Pea Living is all about making and sharing recipes that are low-carb, paleo and Whole30 approved. After having carrot noodles with my Slow Cooker Beef and Broccoli recipe, I knew they would also pair well with Beef Stroganoff. If you’ve never had carrot noodles, I highly encourage you to try them. They are super easy to make (even easier than pasta) and have a really nice, sweet flavor that works well with beef. I am obsessed!
I made this dish with beef sirloin because it was on sale at our local grocery store. You could also make this recipe with flank steak, beef filet or porterhouse steak. Just be careful not to overcook the meat! You don’t want a chewy beef stroganoff!
If you’re interested in tasting a lighter, healthier and delicious Beef Stroganoff recipe, make this dish and let me know what you think by taking a picture and tagging Sweet Pea Living on Facebook and Instagram! You won’t be disappointed!
- 1 pound beef sirloin
- salt and pepper to taste
- extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1-14 ounce can beef broth
- 1-7 ounce can coconut milk
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup coconut aminos
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 large carrots
- ½ tablespoon butter (or EVOO)
- green onions, sliced
- Remove fat and gristle from the meat. Cut into narrow strips, about 2 inches long and one-half inch thick. Season the strips with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Coat the bottom of a non-stick pan in EVOO. Heat onion and garlic for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add sliced mushrooms to pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes, until softened.
- Add steak, beef broth, coconut milk, red wine vinegar, coconut aminos, onion powder, and garlic powder to pan. In another bowl, whisk arrowroot powder and water. Then, add to pan.
- Simmer mixture for 20 minutes.
- Peel carrots. Then, set carrots on a cutting board and use a vegetable peeler to peel along the length of the carrot. Repeat the process, rotating the carrot as necessary, until it is too thin to peel.
- In a non-stick skillet, heat butter and carrot ribbons over medium-high heat. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring often until carrots are slightly softened.
- Serve ribboned carrots with beef stroganoff on top. Garnish with green onion and enjoy!
Yields: 4 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes